I will be holding another 6 hour Garmin 430 / 530 course on March 15th 2015. The January class was so successful that I have had numerous requests for another class. This is a comprehensive course covering all that you need to know about the GNS 430 / 530 WAAS & Non-WAAS GPS navigators for both VFR & IFR operations and contains the topics listed below. The course will have a morning and afternoon session with a one hour break for lunch. Most of the course concepts and tactics are transferable to the GTN 650/750 navigators.
Seating is limited so please register early. Cost is $ 75.00. There is a $15.00 discount, if you took my GNS 430/530 course in January 2012 or January 2015.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
1. Operation of the Communication, VOR & GPS controls.
2 Introduction to Garmin’s GNS 530 / 430 simulators and how to obtain free simulators.
3. Use of CDI, OBS, FPL & "Direct To" buttons for VFR & IFR operations beyond the Garmin Manual.
4. Using Page Groups to navigate through the GNS 530 / 430 pages efficiently.
5. Creating, modifying and using stored flight plans.
6. GNS 530/430 GPS VFR & IFR navigation.
7. Operation and use of the PROC button beyond the Garmin Manual.
8. Instrument Approach tactics and the use of “activate approach” and “load approach” options.
9. How to manage and modify active flight plans and instrument approaches using techniques not in the Garmin manuals.
10. Why Garmin’s use of the phrase “activate approach?” is misleading and how to avoid this trap.
11. Use of full approach versus vector to final approach.
12. How to set up a stand-by instrument approach at an airport other than the flight plan destination.
13. Preparation for an instrument approach and diversion during the enroute portion of the flight.
14. Missed approach procedures.
15. Procedure turns.
16. Holding procedures.
17. Use of OBS button to Hold at an unpublished Hold.
18. Step by step exercises illustrating the course concepts.
19. Short preview and comparisons to GTN 650 / 750
The course includes a supplement worth $25.00 that contains the details of the course subjects, so you should not have to take notes during the class.